Friday, April 13, 2012

Living Learning Communities (LLC) Recap 11-12


This year I had the opportunity to be a part of the community service living and learning community. Members of this community held meetings on a regular basis to discuss, plan, and implement residence wide events aimed at building a sense of community within residence and encouraging people living in residence to contribute to raising awareness and funds for causes that affect the lives of many people in our community. Some of the events that the community service LLC was a part of this year included: Post Secret, Trick-or-eat, Project Stache, the Movember Gala, Bachelor/Bachelorette Auction, Jump Rope for Heart, and Speed Friending.
Being a part of the community service LLC greatly impacted my experience as a first year university student living in residence. As someone who participated in a lot of volunteer work in high school and took on various leadership roles in the past, it gave me the chance to continue doing this in a new setting with ease, simply by stating on my application form that I was someone interested in community service work. Through the LLC I was able to quickly find a place within residence where I felt like I belonged and was accepted and appreciated for what I had to offer to the residence community. I was given the opportunity to collaborate with an amazing group of hard working people all whom shared the goal of contributing to the betterment of our community and those in it. The people I worked with in the community service LLC continued to be a tremendous support system for me throughout my first year of university.
The LLC had a great year and worked hard to make a difference, growing closer as a group of friends as time passed. The people that I had the opportunity to meet, and the events I had the opportunity to participate in through the LLC will make up a large part of the memories I will recall when I think about my first year at Ryerson University. To any future first year students planning to live in residence, I would strongly recommend joining either the community service LLC or one of the many other LLC groups that Ryerson University has to offer. You will meet wonderful people in the process and definitely will not regret taking that chance.
Alicia Rowley

No comments:

Post a Comment